John M. Hoffman
Co-Director: Center for Quantitative Cancer Imaging, Huntsman Cancer Institute
The Hoffman lab
Brain and Behavior
B.S.E. 1977, University of Pennsylvania; M.D. 1980, University of Colorado; Residency, Neurosurgery 1981-1983, University of Washington, Seattle, WA; Residency, Neurology 1983-1986, University of Washington, Seattle, WA; Fellowship, Nuclear Medicine/PET 1986-1989, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA
Modern imaging techniques including positron emission tomography (PET), MRI, and autoradiography to understand clinically relevant brain related problems and biologic processes
Dr. Hoffman has a particular interest in the use of PET imaging as a biomarker in therapeutic drug trials and in personalized medicine. He has many years experience, background, and knowledge of the regulatory approval process for PET imaging agents. He has filed 12 Investigational New Drug (IND) applications during his academic career. His own research activities include the use of PET imaging techniques to assess malignancy in both basic science studies and clinical trials; assessment of early response to cancer therapy; and in studying disorders of the nervous system. Other focuses of his research are in the use of PET imaging to understand cancer-associated physiologic changes and complications including the effects of chemotherapy on cognitive function, cardiac function, and muscle weakness/fatigue. Specific projects include:
- Studies to assess the efficacy of various PET radiopharmaceuticals used alone and in combination to assess the biology of brain tumors before and after treatment
- Studies using quantitative FDG-PET, functional MRI (fMRI) with several activation paradigms, an extensive neuropsychological test battery, and co-registered anatomic MRI imaging to better understand the cognitive disorder known as "chemobrain".
- Studies comparing various image interpretation strategies and parameters in patients with dementia
- Studies using FDG and the novel imaging agent to explore the biodistribution of amyloid plaques in various cognitive disorders.
- Studies using advanced imaging techniques are being explored to better understand the pathophysiology of inflamation in sepsis, and degenerative neurologic conditions such as Alzheimer's disease.
- Duff K, Suhrie KR, Dalley BCA, Anderson JS, Hoffman JM (2018). External validation of change formulae in neuropsychology with neuroimaging biomarkers: A methodological recommendation and preliminary clinical data. Clin Neuropsychol, 33(3), 478-489.
- Duff K, Horn KP, Hoffman JM (2019). Long-term Changes in 18F-Flutemetamol Uptake in Nondemented Older Adults. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord, 33(2), 113-117.
- Duff K, Anderson JS, Mallik AK, Suhrie KR, Atkinson TJ, Dalley BCA, Morimoto SS, Hoffman JM (2018). Short-term repeat cognitive testing and its relationship to hippocampal volumes in older adults. J Clin Neurosci, 57, 121-125.
- Wang LM, Wu Q, Kirk RA, Horn KP, Ebada Salem AH, Hoffman JM, Yap JT, Sonnen JA, Towner RA, Bozza FA, Rodrigues RS, Morton KA (2018). Lipopolysaccharide endotoxemia induces amyloid-beta and p-tau formation in the rat brain. Am J Nucl Med Mol Imaging, 8(2), 86-99.
- Hanson HA, Horn KP, Rasmussen KM, Hoffman JM, Smith KR (2017). Is Cancer Protective for Subsequent Alzheimer's Disease Risk? Evidence From the Utah Population Database. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci, 72(6), 1032-1043.
- Hammers DB, Atkinson TJ, Dalley BCA, Suhrie KR, Horn KP, Rasmussen KM, Beardmore BE, Burrell LD, Duff K, Hoffman JM (2017). Amyloid Positivity Using [18F]Flutemetamol-PET and Cognitive Deficits in Nondemented Community-Dwelling Older Adults. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen, 32(6), 320-328.
- Rodrigues RS, Bozza FA, Hanrahan CJ, Wang LM, Wu Q, Hoffman JM, Zimmerman GA, Morton KA (2017). (18)F-fluoro-2-deoxyglucose PET informs neutrophil accumulation and activation in lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury. Nucl Med Biol, 48, 52-62.
- Hammers DB, Atkinson TJ, Dalley BC, Suhrie KR, Beardmore BE, Burrell LD, Horn KP, Rasmussen KM, Foster NL, Duff K, Hoffman JM (2017). Relationship between (18)F-Flutemetamol uptake and RBANS performance in non-demented community-dwelling older adults. Clin Neuropsychol, 31(3), 531-543.
- Haddadin Z, Lee V, Conlin C, Zhang L, Carlston K, Morrell G, Kim D, Hoffman JM, Morton K (2017). Comparison of Performance of Improved Serum Estimators of Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR) to (99m)Tc-DTPA GFR Methods in Patients with Hepatic Cirrhosis. J Nucl Med Technol, 45(1), 42-49.
- Duff K, Hammers DB, Dalley BCA, Suhrie KR, Atkinson TJ, Rasmussen KM, Horn KP, Beardmore BE, Burrell LD, Foster NL, Hoffman JM (2017). Short-Term Practice Effects and Amyloid Deposition: Providing Information Above and Beyond Baseline Cognition. J Prev Alzheimers Dis, 4(2), 87-92.
- Jallow N, Christian P, Sunderland J, Graham M, Hoffman JM, Nye JA (2016). Diagnostic Reference Levels of CT Radiation Dose in Whole-Body PET/CT. J Nucl Med, 57(2), 238-41.
- Horn KP, Yap JT, Agarwal N, Morton KA, Kadrmas DJ, Beardmore B, Butterfield RI, Boucher K, Hoffman JM (2015). FDG and FLT-PET for Early measurement of response to 37.5 mg daily sunitinib therapy in metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Imaging, 15(1), 15.
- Edwards O, Yakish ED, Wang LM, Wu Q, Hoffman JM, Morton KA (2015). Histamine Receptor 1 and 2 Antagonists Alter Biodistribution of Radioiodine. J Nucl Med Technol, 43(3), 214-9.
- Graham MM, Wahl RL, Hoffman JM, Yap JT, Sunderland JJ, Boellaard R, Perlman ES, Kinahan PE, Christian PE, Hoekstra OS, Dorfman GS (2015). Summary of the UPICT Protocol for 18F-FDG PET/CT Imaging in Oncology Clinical Trials. J Nucl Med, 56(6), 955-61.
- Duff K, Horn KP, Foster NL, Hoffman JM (2015). Short-Term Practice Effects and Brain Hypometabolism: Preliminary Data from an FDG PET Study. Arch Clin Neuropsychol, 30(3), 264-70.
- Duff K, Foster NL, Hoffman JM (2014). Practice effects and amyloid deposition: preliminary data on a method for enriching samples in clinical trials. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord, 28(3), 247-52.
- Foster NL, Mottola K, Hoffman JM (2014). Coverage with evidence development: what to consider. JAMA Neurol, 71(4), 399-400.
- Duff K, Foster NL, Dennett K, Hammers DB, Zollinger LV, Christian PE, Butterfield RI, Beardmore BE, Wang AY, Morton KA, Hoffman JM (2013). Amyloid deposition and cognition in older adults: the effects of premorbid intellect. Arch Clin Neuropsychol, 28(7), 665-71.
- Kadrmas DJ, Rust TC, Hoffman JM (2013). Single-scan dual-tracer FLT+FDG PET tumor characterization. Phys Med Biol, 58(3), 429-49.
- Marcus RL, Addison O, LaStayo PC, Hungerford R, Wende AR, Hoffman JM, Abel ED, McClain DA (2013). Regional muscle glucose uptake remains elevated one week after cessation of resistance training independent of altered insulin sensitivity response in older adults with type 2 diabetes. J Endocrinol Investig, 36(2), 111-7.